Whether you’re looking to make a new purchase or just want to spruce up your property, there are lots of flooring options to refresh your space.
Polished concrete and epoxy flooring are the two most popular concrete finish options for homes and businesses. Both of these options are durable and attractive, but they have their differences.
Keep reading to learn more about these flooring options to decide which one best suits your space.
What Is Polished Concrete Flooring?
Polished concrete is a popular flooring option because it looks like polished stone and is less expensive than tile. You can install polished concrete over an existing floor or concrete slab, making it an affordable choice for many homeowners.
The process of polishing concrete uses various tools, including diamond-tipped grinders and rotary floor machines. The cost of polished concrete is similar to other hardwood flooring types, but its installation cost is significantly lower than that of hardwood floors or tile.
Polished concrete offers home and business owners the following benefits:
- Beautiful, high-quality, colored concrete floors that are easy to maintain.
- A wide variety of colors and finishes, including natural stone-like surfaces.
- Cost-effective installation—polished concrete is a do-it-yourself project for most people and is more affordable than carpet, tile, or wood.
- Low maintenance—polished concrete does not require waxing or sealing like many other flooring materials
What Is Epoxy Flooring?
Epoxy flooring is a type of coating applied over various surfaces, including concrete floors.
It typically consists of polyurethane or polyurea resin, pigments, and fillers. This coating has a top layer—the epoxy layer—and the bottom layer or floor surface, known as the substrate.
The epoxy layer is usually a colorless or light-colored liquid poured onto the substrate. It’s then dried and cured using heat or UV light. The result is a highly durable surface applicable in many residential and commercial spaces.
Epoxy floors are highly durable and resistant to stains, scratches, dents, and cracks. They are ideal for busy areas such as schools or hospitals.
They also offer the following benefits:
- They are effortless to install, with no need to grind concrete surfaces beforehand.
- They come with a high gloss finish, making them ideal for use in car showrooms, studios, and other high-functioning spaces.
- They are resistant to heat, making them perfect for kitchens and bathrooms.
- They are resistant to UV light, making them ideal for semi-outdoor areas, such as garages and patios.
- They are resistant to stains, scratches, abrasion, moisture, and impact damage.
- They are more cost-effective per square foot than other types of flooring, including tile, carpet, and wood plank.
Polished Concrete or Epoxy Flooring: Which Is Better for Your Space?
The answer depends on a number of factors. First, you should evaluate your day-to-day needs and expectations to determine what kind of flooring will best suit your space.
Both options work great for floors in commercial buildings and homes. However, they both offer unique benefits and drawbacks.
For example, a polished concrete floor may be more appropriate for you if you have very active pets or children. It will hold up well against the wear and tear that comes with daily use.
On the other hand, if you want something that looks sleek and modern, an epoxy floor may better suit your space. These floors give off a more modern look than polished concrete floors, which can sometimes appear somewhat dated due to their traditional nature and lack of UV stability.
Ready for Concrete Polishing or Epoxy Flooring in Orange County, CA? Contact the Experts at Epoxy Time Today
At Epoxy Time, we offer high-quality, long-lasting epoxy flooring installations with epoxy/polyurea bases and a polyaspartic topcoat. These coatings come with ten and 20-year warranties, depending on what you choose.
We know that you have lots of options when it comes to choosing an epoxy flooring contractor. We are happy to be the professionals you choose for your next project.
We are a family-owned and operated business with over three generations of expert epoxy coaters. No matter your flooring project, you will receive the best quality work and exceptional service from our team. We are proud community members committed to using only eco-friendly materials in all our work.
Call (949) 468-7778 to learn more about polished concrete vs. epoxy flooring options for your home or business in Orange County, CA. Our friendly team at Epoxy Time can give you a free quote for your project.